REVEREND EDMUND F. McCAFFREY,
O.S.B, Ph.D.

McCaffrey

Father Edmund F. McCaffrey, of Murrells Inlet, a former abbot ordinary of Belmont Abbey, chancellor of Belmont Abbey College and founding pastor of St. Michael’s Catholic Church, Garden City, S.C., died Sunday, November 13, 2016.

He is an alumnus of Belmont Abbey College and earned his PhD in Political Science at the Catholic University. He was instrumental in founding the Political Science Department in the college. He was a popular teacher and mentor to many students. “The monastic community was saddened to learn of the death of Fr. Edmund McCaffrey. He was a member of our community for many years and served for five years as abbot,” said Abbot Placid Solari of Belmont Abbey. “He has been in our prayers during his illness and  will continue to be remembered.”

Funeral arrangements will be announced by Goldfinch Funeral Home. An online guestbook is available at www.goldfinchfuneralhome.com.

McCaffreeyBlessf2

Quotes form his Memory Book at Goldfinch Funeral Home:

Memories of a wonderful teacher and mentor during my time at Belmont Abbey College 1960 through 1965. We will miss you Father Edmond.
Matthew Maher

Here was a great man of God. Ed was uniquely blessed by his boundless love for his fellow man and his endless devotion to his religious calling.
He was a true friend for nearly 70 years and he is already missed, but I am comforted by my firm belief that he is finally at home with the Saints.
Thomas A.E. Davis

My wife and I will miss Abbot Edmund. He was special to us from our days at Belmont Abbey and Mercy School of Nursing. Rest in peace my friend, we are praying for you.
Stan and Pat Winner

Fr. McCaffrey was a great mentor and wonderful priest. He will be missed. Eternal rest grant unto him O Lord and let perpetual light shine upon him.